The American University in Cairo
Department of Philosophy
P. O. Box 74
New Cairo 11835
Degree: D. Phil. in Oriental Studies (2004), University of Oxford
Position: Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Tel: 00202 2615 1617
Fax: 00202 2795 7565
Current Projects on Averroes
- Muslim and Christian Perspectives on Philosophy and Religion: Averroes and Hegel (due to appear in Ashgate Publishing, 2013).
Publications on Averroes
- Chance and Determinism in Avicenna and Averroes. Leiden, Brill, 2007.
- O essencial sobre Averróis. Lisbon, Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2007. [An outline of Averroes' philosophy].
- Averróis, Discurso decisivo sobre a harmonia entre a religião e a filosofia. Translation from the Arabic into Portuguese with introduction and notes by Catarina Belo, Lisbon, Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2006. [Portuguese translation with introduction and notes of Averroes' Faṣl al-maqāl (The Decisive Treatise on the Harmony between Religion and Philosophy)].
Articles and Book Sections (selection)
- "Philosophical and Religious/Theological Knowledge in Averroes and Aquinas", forthcoming in Islamic and Western Philosophy: An Anthology, ICAS Press, London, 2011.
- "Some Considerations on Averroes' Views regarding Women and their Role in Society", Oxford, Journal of Islamic Studies, 20:1, 2009, pp. 1-20.
- "Essence and Existence in Avicenna and Averroes", Madrid, al-Qantara, XXX, 2 (June-December), 2009, pp. 403-426.
- "Deus na filosofia e na teologia islâmicas: a resposta de Averróis a al-Ghazzali", in Maria Leonor L. O. Xavier (ed.), A Questão de Deus na História da Filosofia, vol. I, Sintra, Zéfiro/Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia/Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa, 2008, pp. 229-237. ["God in Islamic Philosophy and Theology: Averroes' Response to al-Ghazzali", in The Issue of God in the History of Philosophy].
After working as a research assistant on Averroes' commentaries on Aristotle's De animalibus in medieval Hebrew manuscripts at the Martin-Buber-Institut für Judaistik, University of Cologne (Germany), Catarina Belo joined the Department of Philosophy at AUC in February 2006.
She specialises in medieval Islamic philosophy, in particular Avicenna's and Averroes' physics and metaphysics. Other interests include medieval Islamic theology (kalām), and medieval Christian philosophy, with a focus on the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, as well as German Idealism, in particular Hegel's philosophy. In addition she studies the intersection between philosophy and religion in the Middle Ages, and more recently in Hegel.
She has authored several books and articles in Islamic philosophy and has recently completed a translation of the Pseudo-Aristotle's Theology of Aristotle into Portuguese, as well as several articles in medieval philosophy for international journals and anthologies.