Department of Jewish Studies
7031 Freret St.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Position: Schusterman Visiting Professor
Current Projects on Averroes
- The Divine in Ordinary Language: Averroes’ Three Commentaries on Aristotle’s Metaphysics Δ, forthcoming Lexington Books at Rowman and Littlefield
- "The Political Uses of Poetry and the Quran according to Averroes’ Middle Commentary on Aristotle’s Poetics"
- "Averroes on Intentionality and the Human Experience of the Natural World."
- "Averroes’ Middle Commentary on Metaphysics Δ as the Plain Meaning of Metaphysics Δ."
Recent and Upcoming Lectures
- "The Literary Forms of Averroes’ Three Commentaries on Metaphysics Δ: Some Remarks on How to Read Averroes" - June 28, 2013, Workshop on Averroes and his Philosophy, presented by the Aquinas and ‘the Arabs’ International Working Group, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
- "Averroes on Knowing the Natural World" – December 27, 2012, Society for the History of Political Philosophy, American Philosophical Association Eastern Division, Atlanta, Georgia.
- "Averroes on Man's Search for Meaning (ma'ana)" – November 2-4, 2012, Conference, American Catholic Philosophical Association, Los Angeles, California.
- “The Political Uses of Poetry and the Quran according to Averroes’ Middle Commentary on Aristotle’s Poetics" – September, 2012, Conference: American Political Science Association Annual Meeting
- “Conjunction and the Supreme Good in Bibago's commentary on the Metaphysics” – August, 2012. Conference: SIEPM: International Congress of Medieval Philosophy, Munich Freising, Germany
- “Analogy and Immanent Knowledge of God according to Averroes’ Long Commentary on Aristotle’s Metaphysics Delta” – June, 2012, Conference: “Philosophy in the Abrahamic Traditions,” Marquette University
- “Meaning and Analogy in Averroes’ Psychology and Metaphysics” June, 2012, Conference: “Meaning, Metaphysics, and Inference in Aristotle and Aristotelianism,” Seventh Annual Marquette Summer Seminar on Aristotle and the Aristotelian Tradition, Marquette University
- "Averroes on Immanent and Transcendent Knowledge of the Divine Intellect " – March, 2012, Conference: “Reason and the Rationality of Being,” Metaphysical Society of America Annual Meeting, Athens, Georgia, USA"
- "Translating Being, Essence and Substance into Hebrew: How Did Erroneous or Difficult Translations Affect the Development of Hebrew Metaphysics?" – December 19-20, 2011, Workshop: “Medieval Hebrew Terminology in the Making,” Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
- “Averroes’ Middle Commentary on Metaphysics Δ as the Plain Meaning of Metaphysics Δ” – October 25, 2011, Conference: “From Cordoba to Cologne: Transformation and Translation, Transmission and Edition of Averroes’ Works,” First International DARE Conference, Cologne, Germany
- "Why were Hebrew Translations Revised? The Case of Averroes’ Long Commentary on Aristotle’s Metaphysics" – July 26, 2010 “Jewish Philosophy” Section of the European Association for Jewish Studies Conference on “Judaism in the Mediterranean Context” in Ravenna, Italy.
Publications on Averroes
- "Revision and Standardization of Hebrew Philosophical Terminology in the Fourteenth Century: The Example of Averroes’s Long Commentary on Aristotle’s Metaphysics." Aleph: Historical Studies in Science and Judaism 13 (2013): 95-137.
- “Prayers to the God of Aristotle's Metaphysics: Tefillot Siyyum for Chapters of Book Δ of Aristotle’s Metaphysics.” Zutot 8 (2011): 15-29.
- "The Convergence of Religious and Metaphysical Concepts: Mofet and Devequt in the Hebrew Translation of Averroes' Long Commentary on Aristotle's Metaphysics” Studia Neoaristotelica 8 (issue 2, December, 2011): 163-177.
- Dissertation: "Averroes on Metaphysical Terminology: an Analysis and Critical Edition of the Long Commentary on Aristotle's Metaphysics Δ" - Bar Ilan University, 2010