Richard C. Taylor
Department of Philosophy
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201
Member and Guest Professor 2011-12 at De Wulf Mansion Centre for Ancient
Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy
Degree: Prof. (Ph.D., M.A. University of Toronto)
Position: Professor of Philosophy
Current Projects on Averroes
- "Averroes on the Afterlife"
- "The Role of al-Ghazali in the Formation of Averroes's Philosophical Rationalism"
- "The Key Roles of Avicenna and Averroes in the Development of the Natural Epistemology of Albertus Magnus in his De Homine"
- "Aquinas and 'the Arabs': Arabic / Islamic Philosophy in Thomas Aquinas's Conception of the Beatific Vision in his Commentary on the Sentences IV, 49, 2, 1" (submitted, decision pending)
- Ibn Rushd (Averroes) of Cordoba (d. 1198) (book project)
Publications on Averroes
- "Averroes on the Ontology of the Human Soul," forthcoming in a special 2013 issue of Muslim World, Ayman Shihadeh, ed. (7200 words)
- "Textual and Philosophical Issues in Averroes' Long Commentary on the De Anima of Aristotle" in The Letter before the Spirit proceedings of the 2009 conference of the same name held in The Haag June 2009, to be published with Brill. (8400 words)
- "Aquinas and the Arabs: Aquinas's First Critical Encounter with the Doctrine of Averroes on the Intellect, In 2 Sent. d. 17, q. 2, a. 1," in Philosophical Psychology in Arabic Thought and
the Latin Aristotelianism of the 13th Century, Luis X. López-Farjeat and Jörg Tellkamp, eds. (in press with Vrin, Paris) (29,764 words)
- "Averroes on the Sharîʿah of the Philosophers," for The Muslim, Christian, and Jewish Heritage: Philosophical and Theological Perspectives in the Abrahamic Traditions (7000 words) (in press)
- "Themistius and the Development of Averroes' Noetics," in Soul and Mind. Medieval Perspectives on Aristotle's De Anima. Ame et Intellect. Perspectives antiques et médiévales sur le De Anima d'Aristote. Proceedings of the De Wulf-Mansion Centre Jubilee Conference (Louvain-la-Neuve - Leuven 14-17 February 2007), Jean-Michel Counet & Russell L. Friedman, ed. Peeters Publishers (Philosophes Médiévaux, LII), Leuven, 2011. (19,300 + words) (in press).
- "Averroes' Philosophical Conception of Separate Intellect and God," in La lumière de l'intellect : La pensée scientifique et philosophique d'Averrès dans son temps (Leuven: Peeters 2011), pp. 391-404.
- "Ibn Rushd / Averroes and ‘Islamic' Rationalism," in Medieval Encounters. Jewish, Christian and Muslim Culture in Confluence and Dialogue 15 (2009) 125-135. [Special issue of Al-Andalus: Cultural Diffusion and Hybridity, ed. Ivry Corfis]
- Averroes (Ibn Rushd) of Cordoba. Long Commentary on the De Anima of Aristotle, Richard C. Taylor, trans. & intro., Therese-Anne Druart, subeditor. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009.
- "Intellect as Intrinsic Formal Cause in the Soul according to Aquinas and Averroes," in The Afterlife of the Platonic Soul. Reflections on Platonic Psychology in the Monotheistic Religions, Maha El-Kaisy Friemuth and John M. Dillon, ed. (Leiden: Brill, 2009)
- "Intelligibles in act in Averroes," in Averroès et les averroïsmes juif et latin. Actes du colloque tenu à Paris, 16-18 juin 2005, ed. J.-B. Brenet, (Turnhout: Brepols, 2007) 111-140.
- "Averroes: God and the Noble Lie," in Laudemus viros gloriosos. Essays in Honor of Armand Maurer, CSB, ed. R. E. Houser, (Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2007) 38-59.
- "Abstraction in al-Fârâbî," Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association 80 (2006) pp. 151-168
- "Averroes: Religious Dialectic and Aristotelian Philosophical Thought," in The Cambridge Companion to Arabic Philosophy, Peter Adamson and Richard C. Taylor, eds., pp.180-200. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005).
- "The Agent Intellect as 'form for us' and Averroes's Critique of al-Fârâbî," Topicos (Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City) 29 (2005)
- "Improving on Nature's Exemplar: Averroes' Completion of Aristotle's Psychology of Intellect" in Philosophy, Science and Exegesis in Greek, Arabic and Latin Commentaries, edited by Peter Adamson, Han Baltussen and M.W.F. Stone, eds., in 2 vols., v.2, pp.107-130. [Supplement to the Bulletin of the Insititute Of Classical Studies 83.1-2] (London: Insititute of Classical Studies, 2004).
- "Separate Material Intellect in Averroes' Mature Philosophy," in Words, Texts and Concepts Cruising the Mediterranean Sea. Studies on the sources, contents and influences of Islamic civilization and Arabic philosophy and science, dedicated to Gerhard Endress on his sixty-fifth birthday, Ruediger Arnzen and Joern Thielmann, eds., pp.289-309. [Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta series] (Leuven: Peeters, 2004).
- "'Truth Does Not Contradict Truth': Averroes and the Unity of Truth", in: Topoi 19.1 (2000).
- "Cogitatio, Cogitativus and Cogitare: Remarks on the Cogitative Power in Averroes," in L'elaboration du vocabulaire philosophique au Moyen Age, J. Hamesse et C. Steel, eds., pp. 111-146. [Rencontres de philosophie Medievale Vol. 8.] (Turnhout, Brepols, 2000).
- "Averroes' Epistemology and Its Critique by Aquinas," in Thomistic Papers VII. Medieval Masters: Essays in Memory of Msgr. E.A. Synan, R.E. Houser, ed. (Houston 1999) pp. 147-177.
- "Remarks on Cogitatio in Averroes' Commentarium Magnum in Aristotelis De Anima Libros," in Averroes and the Aristotelian Tradition: Sources, Constitution and Reception of the Philosophy of Ibn Rushd (1126-1198), Jan A. Aertsen and Gerhard Endress, eds., pp.217-255 (Leiden: Brill, 1999).
- "Averroes' Philosophical Analysis of Religious Propositions," in Miscellanea Mediaevalia 26: What is Philosophy in the Middle Ages? Proceedings of the 10th International Congress of Medieval Philosophy of the S.I.E.P.M., 25-30 August 1997 in Erfurt, Jan Aertsen and Andreas Speer, eds., pp.888-894. (Cologne: Walter De Gruyter GMBH & Co., 1998).
- "Averroes on Psychology and the Principles of Metaphysics," in The Journal of the History of Philosophy 36 (1998) pp. 507-523.
- "Personal Immortality in Averroes' Mature Philosophical Psychology," in Documenti e Studi sulla Traduzione Filosofica Medievale 9 (1998) pp. 87-110.